7.01.2008

Don't forget to breathe, don't forget to be awesome

People have had to remind me to breathe - literally - and it was usually in anxiety-producing situations. My violin teachers reminded me to breathe during performances, my professors reminded me to breathe during presentations, my yoga instructors reminded me to breathe during yoga. (Well, breathing is a big part of yoga -- but they specifically reminded me from time to time to take a breath). I don't know why, but when I'm really tense I forget to breathe. Not for long, of course. And, you know? Things just tend to be easier when I remember to breathe.

I cannot believe how outstandingly busy it is at the library these days (which, is a great thing) but this introvert gets worn out by the end of each day. I have a decent extroverted skill set, but it has been tested at great lengths for the last four weeks. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be tactful and gracious; sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe.

One of my awesome teen volunteers* hand-made a DFTBA button for me, and it couldn't have come at a better time. DFTBA, part of the nerdfighter** lexicon, stands for "don't forget to be awesome." Nerdfighters, among other things, are by definition made of awesome. Saying "don't forget to be awesome" to a nerdfighter is like saying "don't forget to breathe." She gave it to me at the end of the day yesterday, when I was feeling particularly agitated by the sheer volume of activity. And, you know? Things just tend to be easier when I remember to be awesome.

So, if you need a reminder too -- here it is. Don't forget to breathe, and don't forget to be awesome.


*This the same volunteer who made my the wall of man candy.
*Nerdfighters are "proud to be nerdy and intelligent, and who fight to decrease world suck." See how it started here, how it continues here, and read more about the Project for Awesome.

No comments: