1.01.2009

Saving sand dollars

If you live in Minneapolis you probably knew this already...but there are actually snow shoveling rules. I knew it was against the law to shovel snow into the streets and alleyways, and I knew it was our responsibility to clear snow after a fall, but I guess I thought it the courteous and right thing to do to shovel as soon as possible. But, I just discovered that we residential folk have 24 hours after the snowfall to complete the snow and ice removal. Or else, I guess. (That's a long time. It's best to shovel sooner than that -- packed snow is hard to shovel and leads to ice buildup which is even worse to remove).

I don't even know how I came across that city site -- probably reading through MinnPost or MNSpeak -- but the cool thing I discovered, and the reason I'm even blogging about this at all, is that residents of Minneapolis can pick up free sand for their sidewalks. And, there's a pickup spot just blocks from our piece of sidewalk!

I'm feeling a bit too excited about this, in a free-sand-isn't-worthy-of-this-much-attention-so-get-over-it kind of way. But, we've had a snowy winter so far, and I always seem to run out of ice melt at the most inopportune moments.

No comments: