3.03.2008

The Good Shepherd

My DH and I watched The Good Shepherd last night, and just could not get into it. He bailed after 2 hours, and I kept watching hoping that it would come together a little bit more. When we were reconstructing the movie I said something to the effect of "I appreciate this secret society that they made up" and Dan right away said "that part wasn't made up! Skull and Bones is real." Huh?

Well, I figured it couldn't be widely known, but today when I was recounting my weekend with my coworkers - and sure enough - they all knew that Skull and Bones was a real society at Yale, and that both the President Bushes were members. Most of the details they knew came from coverage during the last presidential election, as both John Kerry and George Bush were members.

I wish I had known about the movie before I watched it. If I knew that it was about the CIA from the get-go, or if I remembered the circumstances of the invasion of the Bay of Pigs, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. As it was, I spent most of the time trying to figure out what was going on (too much mumbling), not sympathizing with Matt Damon's character AT ALL (he made the choice to put his work first, too bad for him that his life sucks), distracted by whether Angelina Jolie's character was good or not (she would make a great bad spy), and trying to figure out Joe Pesci's character (he was part of the mafia who used Havana as a home base until Castro rose to power and kicked 'em out).

No comments: