11.12.2008

The Letter B

Wednesdays are my storytime day.

After we sing our welcome song we check the mailbox for the letter of the day. Usually we get the letters first (which are giant magnetic foam capital and lower case letters) and name them, pronounce them and trace them in the air with our fingers. Then we see what else the mailman has left for us -- which is a bunch of various objects that start with the sound of the day, or have some connection to the sound of the day. I'm not a "theme" person when it comes to storytime, but my first books, songs, fingerplays, etc., tend to emphasize the letter of the day. So in my planning I tend to think about the letter.

Today, we got the letter B.

As it happens words that start with the letter of the day/week stick out for me. (This happens more often than I care to admit.) A few things from this week....

Barouche
One of the things we learn about Robert Ferrars in Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility is that he is "quite the most popular bachelor in London. He has his own barouche." As I was watching the best version (read: only version worth watching) of Pride and Prejudice over the weekend, I was reminded that I had never seen one.

The fancy convertible of the early 1800s, its features include seats that face each other and a collapseable top.

Bataan
Not spelled b-a-t-o-n (as I previously assumed), Bataan is a province in the Philippines. Imperial Japan captured Bataan and were able to force a surrender from American and Filipino troops in 1942. They forced their prisoners to walk 60 miles to death camps, and this event is what is known as the Bataan Death March. There is a new

Barack Obama's transition website is Change.gov.

1 comment:

Dulcey said...

Today is my "B" day! I made Bagels, Bread is rising, Bolognese sauce is cooking, onions are Browning, and Butternut squash is roasting!

And now, I'm off to Bead. :)