12.05.2007

Celebrate the freedom to celebrate

I quite enjoy the holidays with family, particularly Thanksgiving and Christmas. I spend Easter with my family too, and a lot of times there is a family event on the weekend before or after July 4th. This is all good, but I wish we had a Friends day. I spend wonderful quality time with friends throughout the year, but with Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparents Day and even Administrative Professional Day, we don't have a day to celebrate friendship. (Other countries have established this - earlier this year I got a Friends Day card from a 'friend' who lives in another country. I received an International Women's Day card from that person too. Why don't we celebrate that day here? I digress).

Well. Today is an important day, and comes close to the friendship holiday I seek. This day in history, December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment repealing prohibition was ratified. Today is a day that we can and should celebrate our constitutional right to consume alcohol. Who better to do that with than dear friends? So, I think we should support these folks in making Repeal Day a national holiday. :)

AMENDMENT XXI

Passed by Congress February 20, 1933. Ratified December 5, 1933.

Section 1.
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or Possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

Section 3.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

No comments: