- The punishment for shortchanging customers on beer in 2100 BC was death by drowning in the Code of Hammurabi.
- Chickens have been domesticated since 3200 BC.
- Rice pudding was thought of as medicine in the first century.
- I can most likely thank 9th Century Arabian law prohibiting wine for my morning coffee.
- The debate over who invented the hot dog can be quite heated.
- Instead of Raisinets, I would have had hazelnuts in Elizabethan England.
- It's French Onion soup because of the bouillon crafted in 17th-Century France.
- While the crystallization process was created by a German apothecary in 1747, I can probably thank Napoleon for the sugar beet industry that gives my college town that awful smell!
- This site is the only other place besides the Library of Congress Subject Headings list that I have seen the word cookery. Good thing we can search modern library catalogs by keyword these days.