3.10.2008

The Three Musketeers


Alexandre Dumas
Originally uploaded by IrishDave5000
So. I've started reading The Three Musketeers for this summer's book club. Being the fast learner that I am, I quickly discovered that it is not a bed book.

I never thought about this before...Alexandre Dumas was a black man. (My talented guys' book club facilitator and go-to person for anything literature-related pointed this out to me today when we were talking about the classics book club I'm having this summer). While we still had slavery, he was writing and being published in France. According to this biography he didn't identify himself as a black man, and that he didn't really encounter any kind of racism during his life. So, I don't know that his race played a huge role in his writing, but he's celebrated on the African American Registry nonetheless.

No comments: