5.31.2008

You say tomato, I say tomato

Apparently, some well-known common-knowledge facts about tomatoes are:

a) one should not refrigerate tomatoes, but should store and serve them at room temperature.

b) heritage, or heirloom tomatoes exist, and are mild and sweet in flavor.

I don't care much for tomatoes. I will sometimes put them in a dish to get just a hint of tomato flavor, but I rarely actually eat the tomato. And, it is rare that I actually cook with tomatoes. Part of it is that I don't like cutting them. Weird, I know, but that means I usually buy roma or cherry tomatoes, and they go bad because I don't use them quickly enough and they go bad. Storing them on the counter will could improve the flavor and remove them from the out-of-sight-out-of-mind situation they are currently in. Most of it is that I don't care much for the flavor. My boss gave me an extra heritage tomato plant (that I had to admit to her died in the weather we had last weekend when she asked me about it yesterday, grrrr) because the mild flavor of the heritage tomatoes might suit my palate a bit more. I think it's a possibility.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Use a serated knife, works wonders to cut tomatos..