4.10.2008

Going on staycation?

I want to get OUT OF TOWN! I am still not sure if that is going to happen this year, but I really want to go to the Amish quilt auction in Ohio, and I want to take trips to Portland and Chicago to visit friends and family. I know my first problem is that I need to be more deliberate in making that happen. However, in April, which is when I intended to go on my first vacation, I'm facing the prospect of a staycation. If, like me, you aren't going anywhere soon, I'm here to say I feel your pain.

So, what can I do here? How can I create a little mini-vacation in my own hometown?

It shouldn't be so hard to enjoy my city. Frommer's ranked it among the top ten destinations for 2007, and the city's website boasts landmarks, architecture and tours, and MEET Minneapolis created a list of 150 Things to Do in Mpls in honor of the state's sesquicentennial. Yet, exploring Mpls has never been on my list of top-10 things to do on any given weekend. Maybe I'll cross the river and head to (gasp) Saint Paul next weekend! Or, sit down and actually formulate a plan to go on a real vacation soon.

No comments: