4.08.2008

World language learning

A friend of mine is a Spanish teacher, and she told me today that her school district requires a 3.0 GPA for high school students to enroll Spanish I. I had never heard of such a requirement, but I checked the Minnesota Department of Education, and sure enough, there are no statewide standards for world language study. Both the University of MN and the MN State Colleges expect graduates of Minnesota High Schools to have had 2 years of a single foreign language study for admission. (They don't indicate a minimum or a target grade point average, but don't "C" students get into college anymore?).

It's nice for my friend to have the go-getter students in her classes, but (and she agrees) it is sad that many students who wish to enroll in Spanish are not able to.

No comments: