9.18.2008

Are we sure English is her native language?

Maybe I don't read as much as I think I do.

That is the only explanation I can think of for the fact that I've spent years casually wondering what this special "brass tax" law, or code, or whatever is all about. Since anyone who has ever used that phrase in my presence was clearly talking about something tax-related, I can only presume that I naturally tuned out whatever they might have been saying.

I heard reference to the "brass tax" again at the meeting I attended yesterday (which did happen to be tax-related), and decided (as I'm trying to become the money person I know I can be) to figure out once and for all what this tax program is all about.

Dear Readers, (and, I recognize that I have only myself to inform here...) brass tacks is an idiom. It means "to start talking about the most important or basic facts of a situation."

You know, get down to business, as in "we've gotta talk about the brass tacks, here. Kat has poor command of key idiomatic expressions, and now everyone knows."

Or, at least, now her mother knows.

No comments: