11.07.2007

Pregnancy and fish don't mix

I knew about not eating raw fish, but what about cooked fish? With my expectant cousin arriving last weekend, I had to stop and ask myself what I could and could not prepare for dinner. The FDA and EPA warn against eating fish that contain high mercury levels, such as swordfish, shark and mackerel. Mercury consumption is risky to the development of the central nervous system in unborn babies and very young children. They do recommend that pregnant women should aim to consume about 12 oz per week of fish that contain lower levels of mercury, such as shrimp, salmon and canned tuna. Fish is an important part of a balanced diet. It contains many proteins and nutrients. WebMD posts an article stressing the importance of omega-3 fatty acids in particular to developing brains, and that fish should not be eliminated all together.

Of course it turned out that the smells of fish were bothersome as well, which doesn't surprise me. I loved how she referred to her heightened sense of smell as "super sniffer".

No comments: